The outside world doesn't owe us anything
22 August 2016
46 mins 17 secs
About this Episode
We welcome a very special guest: Ewandro Magalhaes. Ewandro tells us how he made his super-successful TED-Ed video "How interpreters juggle two languages at once" (http://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-interpreters-juggle-two-languages-at-once-ewandro-magalhaes). We then talk about how to make better PR for the interpreters' profession, both individually and collectively.
Music: Oooh, oooh, by Podington Bear (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Podington_Bear/Party/OoohOooh)
- LangFM podcast interview with Ewandro Magalhaes
- Ewandro's website
- How interpreters juggle two languages at once — Language is complex, and when abstract or nuanced concepts get lost in translation, the consequences may be catastrophic. Given the complexities of language and cultural exchange, how do these epic miscommunications not happen all the time? Ewandro Magalhaes explains how much of the answer lies with the skill and training of interpreters to overcome language barriers.
- Looking for Interpreter Zero: (2) Enrique, Magellan’s Slave Interpreter — How Enrique, a Malay-speaker acquired by Magellan during the siege of Malacca, became an interpreter and go-between as the expedition searched for the Spice Islands.
- The problem with "merely beginning" — There comes a time in everyone’s career where they will disagree with those who have inspired them. I am a big fan of the short, pithy posts from marketing maestro, Seth Godin but yesterday, he slipped up. Or rather, he missed an important detail.
- How to speak in public — The European Commission's DG Interpretation has been organising training sessions for delegates and meeting chairs for several years in order to promote better communication in multilingual meetings. Participants are given the opportunity to try to interpret different qualities of speakers themselves in order to increase their awareness of How to speak in public -- with a fair chance of being understood. This clip with José Iturri, a senior Spanish interpreter at the European Commission's DG Interpretation (SCIC), gives a short introduction to our delegate awareness program (in EN).
- Smart Speaking, by Calliope Interpreters — Our popular video provides tips to help speakers prepare themselves before addressing multilingual audiences.
- Translation and Interpreting: Getting it Right (ATA) — For non-linguists, buying interpreting services is often frustrating. Many buyers are not even sure they need a professional interpreter since they know someone who is bilingual and willing to help out. Potential clients need to know the value your services can bring to their business. That's where Interpreting: Getting It Right comes in--a straightforward brochure explaining the where, why, and how of professional interpreting services. It's a quick read and perfect for client education.